WorldSkills Medallion of Excellence winner Dan Levings has been honoured at a special celebratory event in his honour.

The 19-year-old student, who’s currently studying for a Foundation Degree in Software Development, won the Medallion for Web Design as part of TeamUK at the WorldSkills finals in São Paulo, Brazil.

In recognition of his success, a special afternoon tea was held at Highbury Campus on the day we celebrated our 52nd birthday.

Among the guests were Lord Mayor of Portsmouth Frank Jonas; Mayor and Mayoress of Gosport Keith Farr and Lynn Hook; Christine Doubleday, Director of Find a Future (the new name for WorldSkills); Highbury Principal and Chief Executive Stella Mbubaegbu CBE; and Dan’s Mum and Dad Debbie and Dave.

Stella said everyone at Highbury is immensely proud of Dan. “He’s officially one of the best web designers in the world.”

During the proceedings, Dan, who’s now going to be mentoring other Find a Future entrants, revealed that he came close to opting for a cookery course but was talked into going into IT by his dad at the last minute.

He chose Highbury, which is an hour and a half away from his Gosport home, because of the College’s involvement with WorldSkills and the quality of teaching as an OFSTED ‘outstanding’ college.

“All the way through, Highbury supported me, teaching me everything I needed to know,” he continued. “Brazil – wow – the whole experience was great.”

It comes as no surprise to know that Dan is planning a career in web design. “I can’t imagine myself doing anything else now!”

Article Details

• Date 18/09/2015