To be eligible to undertake this qualification a potential student must:
• have a current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes they want to test
• have at least four years full-time employment in the service and repair of the vehicle types to be tested. (Apprentices who have been employed for four years are eligible.)
• have no unspent convictions for criminal offences connected with the MOT testing scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation
• be of good repute
• and to become a nominated tester (NM) for class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles they must have an appropriate qualification
• automotive Level 3 qualification in maintenance and repair.