On Tuesday 16th May Councillor Ken Ellcome declared his pride at the ‘immense honour’ of taking up Portsmouth’s ceremonial position as the new Lord Major of Portsmouth. Students from the Highbury Computing department were also honoured to share in this occasion, unveiling the Lord Mayor’s website which the students are currently developing. 

Speaking to the audience at the Guildhall, Cllr Ellcome said: “With its long history of being one of the nation’s foremost ports, Portsmouth has always been open to new influences and ideas from the world beyond its immediate horizon. In the 21st century, perhaps the most significant innovation transforming our world is the ‘digital revolution’. That is why I am committed to being your ‘digital mayor’ during my term of office. Believe me that is some challenge keeping up to date with the constant developments in technology and that is why I am delighted to have the support of students from Highbury College to help me in my digital journey. They are developing for me a wonderful website which I will use to communicate with the people of Portsmouth and share the great work being done by the three local charities I am supporting.”

Highbury students have also been getting to grips with technology this week at the annual TeenTech event. The event showcases careers in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) sector and invites local school children to come and ‘have a go’ at various fun and exciting activities. Highbury College staff were on hand to work with the school pupils whilst the Travel & Tourism students benefitted from some real-world work experience by supporting the event alongside hosts, EBP South. The whole day was also filmed by the guys from Strong Island Co, aided by Highbury’s Digital Media Student Crew.

Vanessa Cooter, Highbury College Travel & Tourism lecturer said: “The experience the students get from large scale events like this is invaluable and really helps to build their confidence. I’m so proud of our students, who did a great job and behaved professionally.”   

Highbury was also proud to welcome computing students from across the country to the WorldSkills regional competition heats on Friday 19th May. Competition categories included IT Support, Network Infrastructure and Web Design with competitors Andrew Matthews, Abdel Samih, Daniel Scott and Lewis Newton claiming the top spots in their competitions.

The winners, following in the footsteps of previous national and international medal winners from Highbury College, will now have the opportunity to compete at a national level and could one day represent the UK at the WorldSkills 2017 finals, held in Abu Dhabi next year.

Highbury College is committed to embracing the digital world and strives to be at the forefront of developing technology. These are just a selection of the digital opportunities our students can be a part of, equipping them with the confidence and skills to thrive in this developing digital landscape.

Article Details

• Date 19/05/2017