All you need to know...

Date:
Friday 8 July

Location:
Portsmouth Guildhall

Time:
AM ceremony: 10.00am
PM ceremony: 2.00pm

Entry
Graduates: £9 each
Adults: £9 each
Children (5 years and under): Free

Gowns: £27

Frequently asked questions

Can I attend if I haven't booked?

Unfortunately, if you have not booked for your ceremony, you will not be able to attend if you come on the day. Due to the limitations of the venue, we cannot accommodate any students who arrive on the day of their ceremony.

If I do not wish to attend this year, will I be re-invited?

No, unless you are unable to attend on academic grounds.

When will I receive my certificate?

Certificates will be posted to your home address by recorded delivery. Please check that your home address as held on the student record system is correct.

Will I be eligible for a refund if I fail?

Yes. Both the College and its celebration of achievement service provider will offer a full refund in the event of academic failure. This must be applied for within the 30-day period after graduation finishes.

Can I still have my photograph taken if I fail?

No. Unfortunately you would not be entitled to wear the academic dress for your award as you were not successful in obtaining it.

How will I receive my tickets?

Your tickets will be available for you to pick up on the day of the ceremony at the Guildhall.

I have forgotten to book my gown and/or photographs, what should I do?

If you have missed the deadline for booking your gown you should contact the gown hire company (Marston Robing) straight away. You can telephone them on 01264 339706 and they will ensure you have a gown on the day. The photographs can be purchased on the day, so don't panic if you have forgotten to book them in advance.

I need more guest tickets. Can I find out if there are any spare?

Any spare tickets will be sold through Marston Robing on 01264 339706 or www.yourgraduation.co.uk/highbury

Is there disabled access to the Guildhall?

Yes, the Guildhall has a lift and a disabled toilet. Please give us as much detail as possible when completing the booking form so that we can ensure your guests have appropriate seating.

Can I bring children to watch the ceremony?

Yes. Children aged 5 years old and under can come for free but please be aware that the ceremony is quite lengthy.

Who do I contact about my outstanding debt to the College?

For tuition fees, please contact the Finance Office on Highbury Campus.

What time should I arrive and where should I go?

Details will be emailed to you a week before the event.

What should I wear?

The Celebration of Achievement is a formal occasion and you are expected to dress accordingly. To find out more go to http://www.marstonrobing.com/what-to-wear-under-your-graduation-gown

How long will the ceremony last?

The length of the ceremony varies depending on the number of graduands present. However, most ceremonies last between one and a half to two hours.

Where can we park?

There are a number of NCP and other car parks within easy walking distance of the Guildhall.

Who should I contact with any other queries?

If you have any further questions, then please email karen.eggleton@highbury.ac.uk or phone 02392 328 878.

Booking in

On the day of your graduation you will need to come to Portsmouth Guildhall to book in at the following times:

Morning ceremonies: 8:30am – 9.30am

Afternoon ceremonies: 12:30pm – 1.30pm

In the email you receive before the event you will be given a specific time slot.

Once you have booked in you will then be able to collect your academic dress. Please note that you will not be admitted to the ceremony in the Guildhall without your ticket. At the end of the ceremony, please return your academic dress to the gowners.

In the Guildhall

Your guests must be seated in the Guildhall at least 15 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony. Ceremonies begin promptly at 10:00am and 2:00pm. Please allow good time to enter the building as the college reserves the right to refuse admission beyond this time. You will process into the Guildhall and be seated accordingly. Please note: you and your guests are seated separately. It is important that you do not move from your allocated position.

You and your guests will receive a commemorative programme free of charge.

The ceremony

The ceremonies will last approximately one and half hour to two hours. The length of each ceremony will depend on the number of students graduating.

The procedure on stage

At the appropriate signal, graduands will be guided to the stage in a continuous procession.  Once the Representative has announced the student's name, the student walks up the stairs, receives their Certificate from the Sector Lead, shake hands with the guest speaker walks across the stage, stopping at The Principal to shake hands and then down the stairs and back to their seat.

After the ceremony

Graduates and guests will leave the auditorium of the Guildhall and proceed to The Guildhall Square for photography.

Graduates may visit the photographer after the ceremony if they have not yet done so. There is also an opportunity to purchase merchandised gifts.

Photography and filming

Please note that during the Celebration of Achievement, the College photographer will be taking pictures in the Guildhall Square as well as the auditorium. The graduation ceremonies will also be broadcast on the big screen in the Guildhall Square.

Checklist

Read the checklist below in order to make the most of this important day.

Please check that you have:

• Booked your place and requested guest tickets using the online booking form by 1 July 2016.
  • Booked your academic dress and tickets online at Marston Robing website and received a confirmation email.
  • If you wish to have photographs taken, you can either book your photography session before you arrive or you can book this on the day if you prefer.
  • Clear any outstanding financial debts to the College.
  • Wear suitable dress for the occasion.

Timetable

This timetable has been designed to give you a brief summary of what happens and when on the day of your ceremony, you will be sent a more detailed timing schedule via email.

Morning ceremony (starting at 10:00am)

8.30am to 9.30am
Arrive and book in at The Guildhall, you will be able to collect your academic dress. Please ensure you have your tickets with you.
Have your photographs taken by the photographers. If you can't do this before the ceremony then you can do it afterwards.

9.15am to 9.30am

Your guests must take their seats in the Guildhall.

9.30am-9.45am
Please make your way to the Cloak Room on the ground floor and line up in alphabetical order according to the printed programme.

10.00am sharp
Ceremony begins and lasts approximately an hour and a half to two hours.

Afternoon ceremony (starting at 2.00pm)

12.30pm to 1.30pm
Arrive and book in at The Guildhall, you will be able to collect your academic dress.  Please ensure you have your tickets with you.

Have your photographs taken by the photographers.  If you can't do this before the ceremony then you can do it afterwards.

1.15pm-1.30pm

1.30pm to 1.45pm

2.00pm sharp

Event Details

• Start Date 08/07/2016

End Date 01/01/0001