This Access to Higher Education Diploma (Nursing) gives you the opportunity to apply for a degree in nursing - preparing you well for academic work and the prospect of university life.
It’s an extremely popular course and an excellent way to maximise your job prospects. The vast majority of universities and colleges will accept Access to Higher Education diplomas as an entry requirement, but you are advised to check this with each of the establishments you’re interested in attending.
The course is made up of 19 units:
• Preparing to study
• Academic writing skills
• Preparing a written assignment
• Cell biology
• The history of the National Health Service
• Human nutrition & the digestive system
• The roles & responsibilities of the Registered Nurse
• Introduction to psychology
• Human reproduction, growth & development
• Approaches to health
• The human musculo-skeletal system
• Social factors in health care
• The brain & nervous system
• The human endocrine & nervous system
• Inequalities in health & illness
• Human disease & prevention
• Poverty & health
• Human immunity
• Equality and diversity within health care.
If you're a UK resident aged 19 or over then you'll have to pay your own fees but you can apply for the government backed 19+ Advanced Learner Loan. This will be paid back in monthly instalments but the payments only begin once you've finished the Access to HE diploma and are earning over £26,575 per year.
Ideally, once you've finished the Access to HE diploma you'll then go on to complete a Higher Education (HE) qualification, such as a degree course. The outstanding balance of your 19+ Advanced Learner Loan will then be written off.